The rise of allergies has increased over the past 50 years. These allergies are known as hay fever and they are the reaction of the immune system to foreign particles which makes it overreact.
At this moment we have more than 60 million Americans that have problems with allergic rhinitis and in fact these numbers keep rising especially in children.
The reactions of these allergies are usually in form of sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose, itching, improper sense of smell and headaches. Also allergic reactions can be in form of shortness of breath and can be life threatening.
On the other hand, these symptoms to allergies can be overcome with essential oils that react as booster of your immune system. The properties of these essential oils are providing your body with chemical support which helps you to overcome hypersensitivity.
Here is how these essential oils help your body fight allergies:
As we already discussed above, the allergic reaction is a result of the immune system reaction to foreign particles. Most probably you have already heard the term allergen which refers to different substances which provokes the immune system to react. When such reaction is provoked the immune system begins to produce antibodies which travel to the cells and initiate the allergic reaction. The main causes of allergic reactions are pollen, dust, mold, medications, food, insect bites, latex and animal dander.
The theory behind these allergies and the increased number of people been allergic to different things is associated with inflammation. Our body is programmed to overreact when inflammation takes place. In other words, when the immune system is under stress it allows the allergens to initiate overreactions.
Essential oils are extremely important when it comes to improving your immune system and getting rid of inflammation. Those essential oils which help you against allergies actually provide detoxification of your body and help you fight parasite, bacteria, microorganisms and infections. Also they prepare your body for lower sensitivity and reduce the overreactions of the immune system.
This is a list of top 5 essential oils that will help fight allergies:
1. Peppermint oil – this is a natural expectorant which helps you relieve allergies, but also many other illnesses such as asthma, coughs, sinusitis and cold. Also it provides great support in the process of removing inflammation. Due to these benefits when you inhale peppermint oil you actually stimulate and unclog your sinuses which will help you relieve your throat.
One study published by the Journal of Ethno-Pharmacology revealed that peppermint oil has great benefits for your health and it acts as relaxant and inhibits contractions that lead to coughing. According to another research study made by European Journal of Medical Research, peppermint oil acts as anti-inflammatory agent who prevents chronic disorders such as asthma and different types of allergic rhinitis.
Instructions: in order to unclog your sinuses you should use five drops of this essential oil. This way you will manage to unclog your sinuses and scratchy throat. If you want to reduce inflammation you should use this essential oil at least once per day (few drops). Feel free to add this essential oil into your tea, water or smoothie. Also if you decide that you want to apply it externally add few drops on your chests, back of the neck or temples. People that have sensitive skin should dilute it with jojoba or other essential oil such as coconut oil.
2. Basil oil – this essential oil is great in reduction of inflammation. Also it provides great support for your adrenal glands and helps you improve the bloodstream. The help of improved bloodstream comes in form of support of the body reaction to threats and sends blood to your brain, heart and muscles. This essential oil also fights against viruses, bacteria, pain, inflammation and fatigue. On the other hand it can help detoxify your body and it contains high amount of antimicrobial properties which can help you fight bacteria, mold and yeast.
Instructions: If your body needs to fight with inflammation or control the reaction of the immune system when it comes to allergen invasion, you should use one drop of this essential oil as an addition to your salad, soup or your main dish. In order to improve your respiratory health you should dilute few drops of this oil and coconut oil (equal amounts) and apply it on your chests, back of neck or temples.
3. Eucalyptus oil – this remedy is great for cleaning up your lungs and sinuses as well as improving your blood circulation. Also it provides great support for reducing symptoms of allergies. On the other hand it is great remedy which helps you clear your breath channels especially in the nose which allows improved airflow. The compound citronellal which is found in this essential oil is great anti-inflammatory and analgesic agent which helps you clean your body from toxins.
One study made by Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine institute found that eucalyptus oil is great remedy which improves respiratory tract and prevents infections on it. People that have been using eucalyptus spray report that there are extreme improvements in the symptoms such as sore throat, hoarseness and cough.
Instructions: in order to clean your respiratory tract you should mix few drops of the essential oil with one glass of boiled water. Place your head over the glass and cover your head with towel. Inhale for at least 5 minutes. If you want to use it as a treatment against allergies you should diffuse five drops of this essential oil or simply apply it on your chests or temples.
4. Lemon oil – this remedy is great for treatment of respiratory problems. There are many research studies that prove lemon oil improves your immune system and prevents development or growth of bacteria. If you diffuse it at home you will manage to kill bacteria by which you will also remove triggers of allergies that are present in the air.
If you mix lemon oil with water you will manage to balance your pH levels, but also it will help detoxify your body, improve your immune system and liver.
Feel free to use this remedy for disinfecting your home because it contains great antibacterial properties. You may use it to clean your kitchen, bedroom or bathroom, and this way you will have clean air and decreased triggers. It is highly recommended to use it this way especially in the period of season change.
Instructions: you should add few lemon drops in your regular laundry detergent or simply use it as a spray (after mixing it with water) for your sheets, curtains, clothes, carpets.
5. Tea tree oil – this is strong potent oil which is able to kill all airborne pathogens that cause allergies. Also it has great anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. You should diffuse it at home if you want to kill mold, fungi or bacteria. Study made back in 2000 by German Institute, found this remedy to be extremely rich with antimicrobial properties which help you kill bacteria, yeasts and fungi. It is know that these microbes are responsible for inflammation which makes the immune system overreact.
Instructions: feel free to use this remedy on hives and skin rashes, or simply use it as a cleaner around the house. In case you decide to use it topically you should put few drops on cotton pad and apply it on the area that is affected. If you have sensitive skin you should consider diluting it with carrier oil (jojoba or coconut oil).